Wednesday, July 19, 2006

WARNING: Do Not Watch This Video - It Might Affect You Forever!

www.meat.org

Kaz and I, somewhat by accident, watched this PETA video. I have been guilty in the past about making fun of vegetarians and vegans, but now I have started to sympathize with them.

The video was so horrifying! Those poor animals are raised in such cramped and poor conditions, that by the time they get to the slaughterhouse, they can't even walk out of the truck! I know these videos only show the worst of the worst scenes, but it really made me feel like I was one of those any one of those complacent citizens who knowingly supported one of history's genocides.


This is a moral issue which borders on religious belief. For some vegetarians, life is sacred and therefore, we should not kill. I do not share this belief. I do however, believe that all animals should be free from suffering. This is where I logically must sympathize with vegans more than vegetarians. Vegans refuse milk and eggs because of their consumption causes suffering to dairy cows and laying hens. Capitalism has created nightmarish conditions for these creatures, attempting to maximize profits by creating the most efficient animal-product-producing-machine possible while showing no regard for dignity. Dignity has no monetary value within a capitalist system.

But I love meat and milk and the oh-so-delicious runny Hokkaido camembert cheese that we have in our fridge! Delicious spiced kafta balls of beef, curried chicken, thin gingery asian pork! But now I can't help but be conscious of the suffering that allowed us to have such pleasure! Oh, I am so torn! For now, the only thing we can do is reduce our consumption of animal products and therefore reduce our support to the industry. When we return to Canada, at least, there are places where we can buy products made from animals who were ethically treated.

5 Comments:

Blogger RussianFritz said...

I watched this video first thing this morning. I have, for a long time, felt I should atleast attempt not to eat meat. After going to Pictou, Nova Scotia, and eating three lobsters within a week, and seeing their little legs, head, and antlers, etc, that I should stop eating anytpe of creature. I felt so bad for the red lobster and the shrimp. I have seen footage before on how chickens and hens are treated, I saw this in the movie Baraka and other sources. I have talked with MaRita before about jointly banishing meat from our diet, I sent him the video link, and asked him again to consider, but he doesnt want to give up chicken. I wouldnt mind just eating fish. I like chicken too; however, I would like to find a place to purchase chicken that was humanly treated before its death. Those little pigs... MaRita and I have been spending a lot of money lately on travelling, movies, food, and I think I should just change my whole pattern in consumption. I am becoming one of those people who spend money somewhat carefree on nonessential life items. Like 13 shirts for example, which I am very happy to have purchsed, because I feel so much better about my appearance, my attitude, and the way I feel about myself.
However, I really want to rethink my approach to preserving our environment and treating the earth with more respect than I do at the moment.

~~Thoughts from RussianFritz Prince of Russia~~

6:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching a PETA "documentary" is like watching a "documentary" by the arch-Rita of propagandists, Michael Moore. That's not to say that we should ignore the origins of the food we eat. Just remember, these people will not be satisfied with the humane treatment of domestic animals. Their final objective is zero exploitation of all life except plants. RussianFritz should be careful about vegetarian evangelism. To the meat eating heretics out there, born again vegetarians are of the same ilk as with Jehovah's Witnesses. Moderation in all things is good. By all means, eat more vegetarian fare and eat less meat. Buy quality organic and and if necessary,free range meat. Just don't go off the deep end on this. There are too many f****d up vegetarians around. Does that soup have chicken broth in it? I can't eat it because I am a precious vegetarian and I have taken vows of celibacy. Enough of the Rita ranting.

6:33 pm  
Blogger RussianFritz said...

I finally ate chicken today...
I am guilty.....

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By all means, buy free range and organic meat since you can be reasonably assured that these animals are raised and slaughtered humanely. On the otherhand, strict vegetarianism is like getting "born again" into some kind of whacky religion. To the average person you might as well be a Jehovah's Witness. If you convert, you effect and possibly alienate those around you who do not subscribe to your new "morality". Moderation is the best policy.

5:33 pm  
Blogger Kat said...

I agree with OldFartRita about vegetarianism being an extreme religion. That's why we only see vegetarianism in North America, a land based on religious extremists and puritanism. Don't pay attention to RussianFritz' ramblings - that old wiener dog likes his sausages way too much to ever consider going Jehovah's Vegan on us.

Moderation is the best policy. We have cut back our consumption of animal products by about 50%. A conscious avoidance of animal products doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing commitment.

6:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home