Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Magic Box: Tales of Classroom Management

Children are wild animals, so treat them that way. How would you domesticate a squirrel? -Not by yelling at it. The squirrel could not possibly understand what you were saying, just like my cute little Japanese students don't understand anything I say.

Treats! Treats can soothe the savage Rita that lies within squirrels and children!

I had three classes with behaviour problems. Nothing worked. I tried raising my voice, giving them the evil eye, distracting them, giving them hands-on activities...

Then I developed a system! Each child has his name written on the board. Beside each name are three happy faces. If they misbehave, they lose a happy face. If they do well, they gain a happy face. If they have three happy faces at the end of the class, they get to pick a treat from the magic box!

It's very easy to get three happy faces. In fact, some students had 15! There was only one little boy, a wild little 4 year-old who just could not be tamed. Little Kiyonari wanted to be a wild squirrel forever: jumping from tree to tree, dropping nuts on people's heads, teasing dogs on leashes. He had no happy faces at the end of class! I didn't give him a treat and he started crying and almost hyperventilated. I talked to his mom, of course. I felt bad but I had to take extreme measures. I just couldn't teach the other kids when Kiyonari wanted to destroy everything in the room! Oh, that naughty illegitimate love-child of Rita and Puck!

In short, this was the most successful day of teaching at this school. The teacher was finally in control and the students learned. I went home after this 8-hour day and soaked in the tub with a big glass of vodka and Coke. Hooray!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger RussianFritz said...

You are so funny Kate!!!
I cant believe those damn Squirrel's- those rats...
Did you get my email from the other day?
Your sista that misses you!

10:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home